Krystel Tien, owner and founder of Elle Bridal Boutique, Couture Events and Confetti Inc., attended New York Bridal Fashion Week and shared with us all the behind-the-scenes details! Wondering about wedding bridal trends for 2017? Tien saw lots of capes and attached tulle pieces that trail from the shoulders as she called them, “Elsa Dresses,” inspired by Frozen. As for accessories, the choker coming back in and tassel details as some major upcoming trends.
Krystel’s 6 top tips and trends seen from the runway:
1. Low Backs
2. Unique Backs
3. Nude Lining With Lace Overlay
4. Capes/”The Elsa Look”
5. Tassels Are In
6. Chokers Are Back for Accessories
We asked Tien 5 questions we were dying to know about Bridal Fashion Week.
1. What was your biggest takeaway from the week?
At this point in weddings (with Pinterest and the internet), brides are feeling like they have seen it all before. So, we are seeing that brides are looking for unique dress so ANYTHING GOES as long as it’s unique! We are seeing everything on the runways but we have noticed that sleek, form fitting, fit & flare, low back and low front are all the rage. The modern bride wants to look unique and also wants to show a bit of skin.
2. Your most inspiring moment?
We always try to spend some time in central park while we are in the city and I feel like that it’s usually where I find the most inspiration. The fashion shows and gown collections are always gorgeous but there is just something about sitting atop “our spot” in central park looking out that is very inspiring. Also the chance to explore central park and find new places each time is always so exciting. This time we found the Alice in Wonderland statue and the mini model boat sailing, the place was filled with children and seriously reminded us of a movie. NYC in the fall is always inspiring.
3. Who was the most exciting designer you met or person you ran into?
We of course love meeting all of the designers but I think the most exciting moment was when we spotted the reining queen of the wedding industry, Martha Stewart. We were at the Martha Stewart Weddings Party, in front of us in line to get in was Randy from Say Yes To The Dress and fabulous designer Haley Paige. Then as we got inside we saw a big group of security and then there she was… Martha Stewart. We just had to get a photo with her. I asked her security first if we could have a photo and he said, “you have to ask her” and nodded toward Martha. So I went over and said, “I am not sure if you do photos or not, would you mind taking a photo with us?” She said, “yes” and as I struggled to get my phone out of my purse and ready she said “BUT YOU HAVE TO BE READY”… I pulled the phone out said, “of course, so sorry” and she replied with, “especially when you look that pretty”. Inside I was screaming please don’t leave… I snapped the photo… and she quickly turned and told security she would like to go to the second floor (the party was on 3 stories of a warehouse building). That was it… that was our moment with Martha… but it was very exciting!
4. Was there a new designer you’re excited about and plan to carry at Elle Bridal boutique?
Yes, we have two new designers that we will be carrying at Elle Bridal Boutique.
1. Badgley Mischka – we had the opportunity to meet with the designer of the wedding collection and absolutely fell in love with him and his attention to detail and love for designing. The gowns are absolutely stunning and we know they are going to be a perfect for the California bride. These are detailed, ornate, and jaw dropping.
2. Made With Love – low backs, soft lace, form fitting, with a dash of tulle. These gowns are simply stunning and perfect for the outdoor beach or garden bride. Lightweight but with incredible structure. We are in love with this new collection and know you will be too.
5. What is the trend/look you’d love to see more San Diego brides do?
We are in love with creating wow-factor moments. We wish San Diego brides would be a bit more adventurous with their accessories and change their look multiple times throughout the wedding with a dress change or even an accessory change. Do something a little daring that you can wear after the ceremony, just for the reception to make them all say “WOW”. We love the idea of a statement piece (bracelet, earrings, headband) that says this is a special day and while you may not wear it everyday – on your wedding day it makes it that much more precious.