We’re talking about venue selection! As soon as you get engaged everyone wants to know when and where. Picking your venue is one of the first decisions you make and it’s a big one. For me, the venue was a fun and stressful decision for me (honestly this process took us four months, so don’t feel bad if you are struggling). Today I am sharing with you a list of 15 questions to ask. We looked at alot of wedding locations and the answers to these questions really helped us narrow it down. Take along these questions as you hunt for the perfect venue!
1: Pelican Hill Resort, photo by True Photography Weddings 2 & 3: Hilton San Diego Bayfront, photo by James Maciariello Photography 4: The Grand Del Mar, photo by True Photography Weddings
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN PICKING YOUR VENUE:
1. How many hours do you get the venue?
2. What, exactly, is included in the wedding package? (Cake cutting, champagne toasting, tables, chairs?)
3. Does the venue offer a menu tasting? (Note: not all do!)
4. Where do the bride and groom get ready? Is there a special room?
5. Will an on-site coordinator or staff person be available on the wedding day? If so, for how many hours? If not, who will be your contact person?
6. Will there be other weddings at the venue on the same day as yours? How many and at what proximity?
7. For outdoor events, what is the backup plan in case of rain?
8. Is the wedding cake included? How much is the cake-cutting fee?
9. Where is the parking? How far is it from your ceremony and reception sites?
10. Are the bathrooms public or private? How far are they from your ceremony and reception locale?
11. What is the staff-to-guest ratio on the night of the event? Is it adequate?
12. Are there overtime fees? If so, how are they calculated?
13. Is the venue accessible for people with disabilities?
14. If you are allowed to bring your own wine, what is the corkage fee?
15. Can outside vendors be brought in for such things as lighting, multi-media, flowers, linens, tables, chairs, etc.?
This advice and more was featured in the Spring 2010 issue of Exquisite Weddings magazine, click here for more.