Erica and Creed Stary began dating in 2009, soon after starting anesthesia residencies at UCSD. What their initial meeting locale may have lacked in romance, Creed’s proposal made up for. He popped the question just before New Year’s Eve fireworks began on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. Their wedding at La Valencia, in front of 125 guests, was equally enchanting.
What She Wore
Erica chose a strapless, empire waist, ivory silk gown by Alvina Valenta from the White Flower Bridal Boutique.
The bride’s bouquet consisted of antique hydrangeas, purple lady slipper orchids, miniature plum dahlias, maritime roses, calla lilies, and cymbidium orchids.
The couple couldn’t pick just one memory: the bride’s procession down the aisle; their first kiss as husband and wife; Creed’s mother reading a poem; and Erica’s friend, Lis Warren, singing “The Origin of Love” all topped the list.
The couple didn’t have to think twice about their wedding venue. “La Valencia has a wonderful feel as soon as you walk into the foyer,” the groom explains. The storied hotel’s ocean views, history, and convenience also had them sold.
Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” played as the couple shared their first dance as husband and wife.
For dinner, guests savored wild mushroom soup; frisée, endive and watercress salad; sautéed local sea bass; and grilled prime New York steak with seasonal wild mushrooms and bordelaise.
Chocolate truffles, tuxedo-dipped strawberries, and heart-shaped cookies were on the menu for dessert.
Drinks All Around
Mojitos were the cocktail of choice at the open bar.
Practice Makes Perfect
The couple took lessons and rehearsed their first dance for the reception.
Erica’s parents rented the Hornblower High Spirits, an antique yacht, for a rehearsal dinner cruise around the San Diego Bay. “It was truly an amazing experience,” gushes the couple.
Erica and Creed traveled over 4,000 miles to the Cook Islands in the South Pacific for a true honeymoon hideaway.
Get Their Style
- Coordination: Liz Beck Events
- Photographer: Jennifer Dery Photography
- Ceremony and Reception: La Valencia Hotel, La Jolla
- Florist: Adorations Botanical Artistry
- DJ and Lighting: Beck’s Entertainment
- Ceremony Music: Caprice Strings
- Gown: The White Flower Bridal Boutique
- Shoes: Salvatore Ferragamo
- Cake and Cupcakes: Sweet Cheeks Baking Company
- Paper Elements: Snail Mail Forever
- Hair and Makeup: A Dab Will Do You
- Rentals: Concepts Event Design
- Officiant: Dr. Jonathan Benumof, friend
- Jewelry: Charles Koll
- Groom’s Attire: A Better Deal Tuxedo