“I never imagined I would meet my future husband in a bar,” recalls Angie Ortega, “but oh, was I wrong.” An Encinitas bar proved to be the setting for the start of her romance with Nick. After five years of dating, he popped the question in Balboa Park, where Angie thought they were having Christmas card pictures taken. Nick had secretly turned their shoot into a proposal photo op. The couple tied the knot seven months later in front of nearly 200 guests at the “charming and romantic” Inn at Rancho Santa Fe.
Touch of Gray
The bride first selected a gown with laser cut detailing, but decided it was a bit too avant-garde, opting instead for a more traditional iteration by Amy Kuschel. Her gray beaded sash matched her bridesmaids’ bouquets and her mother and mother-in-law’s outfits.
A favorite of the couple, Jimmy Patton played acoustic guitar for their ceremony music.
By Their Side
The bride has known her best friend, Sylvie, since they were a year old. “Being each other’s Maids of Honor was something we often discussed growing up,” says Angie. Nick’s two younger brothers served as his Best Men.
Chandeliers were hung in a massive Pepper Tree for the ceremony.
On the verge of a meltdown right before the ceremony, their two-year-old niece and flower girl, Lola, was comforted with a lollipop. Angie was smitten with the adorable photos of Lola’s mouth covered in chocolate as she walked down the aisle, lollipop in hand.
Their favorite moments at the reception were the bridal party’s introduction to LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It” and the couple’s grand entrance to “El Mariachi Loco.”
For their father-daughter dance, Angie and her stepdad started off with “The Way You Look Tonight,” but soon broke into a swing dance to “Honey Hush” by Roomful of Blues.
The couple jetted off to a relaxing Costa Rican honeymoon. They didn’t meticulously plan every detail, leaving room to “just go with the flow and do what we felt like at the time.”
Get Their Style
- Coordination: CBS Lifestylist
- Photographer: Luna Photo
- Ceremony, Reception, and Catering: The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe
- Florist: Krista Jon
- Ceremony Music: Jimmy Patton
- Cocktail Music: Mariachi Perla
- DJ: Tim Altbaum Productions
- Gown: Amy Kuschel, Bliss Bride
- Shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Cake: V.G. Donut & Bakery
- Paper Elements: Alchemy Fine Events & Invitations
- Hair: Robert Howes 619.296.8021
- Makeup: Sheila Nellis 858.231.9408
- Rentals: Archive Vintage Rentals
- Linens: APR Linens
- Lighting: Wynn Austin Fine Weddings & Events
- Officiant: Reverend Richleigh Powers
- Jewelry: Justine M. Couture, Bliss Bride
- Groom’s Attire: The Ascot Shop & Burberry
- Cinematography: Russell Fowler Studios
- Photo Booth and Favors: Classy Event Group