When San Diego Charger Antonio Gates met the lovely Sasha Lee at a hotel bar in Los Angeles, the sparks flew. From the first moment “there was an undeniable instant attraction. We smiled at each other and the rest is history!” exclaims the bride. For a little Motown magic, Antonio took Sasha to his hometown of Detroit to share his childhood memories. On the scenic shoreline of Bell Isle, he pulled out a ring saying he had started his memories here and wanted to finish them with her, if Sasha would be his wife.
The Aria Lawn at the Grand Del Mar—the bride had always dreamed of outdoor summer nuptials.
Guests and bridal party entered the ceremony through grandiose “gates” in homage to their name.
Mates for Life
The couple released two doves from a heart-shaped basket to symbolize their enduring love.
A custom-designed Ines Di Santo champagne gown, Christian Louboutin ceremony shoes, and Jimmy Choos for the reception.
A custom-tailored suit, with a tie and pocket square made from the same fabric as Sasha’s gown.
Locking eyes as she walked down the aisle. “The look on his face was priceless. The tough guy actually shed a tear for me.”
Elegance and opulence—an abundance of cream, white, and blush florals, crystal chandeliers, and rhinestone and gold accents. “Ana Aftahi’s flowers were unbelievable; it was like walking through a garden,” chimes the bride.
Sasha’s family is Trinidadian, so her mother baked a traditional wedding rum cake as an extra treat. They also danced to Soca and Calypso music.
Watching people limbo after a few drinks.
Late Night Treat
An extravagant chocolate bar with fountains and more than twenty delicious desserts.
Favors for Guests
California sparkling wine with their photo on the label and a custom-made CD of their favorite love songs.
“God brought us together. It’s not a coincidence. We connect spiritually, mentally, and physically. We trust each other. We make each other happy. We are best friends. We are in love,” declares the couple.
Get Their Style
- Coordination: Weddings by Design
- Photography: Boyd Harris Photography
- Ceremony & reception: The Grand Del Mar
- Floral design & linens: Floral Works & Events by Raphael’s
- Paper elements: Posh Paperie
- Bridal gown: Ines DiSanto, M Bride La Jolla
- Bridesmaids’ gowns: Penny Dusababek Mata
- Bride’s hair design: Jenae Eagins
- Groom’s suit: Donnell “Dee” Price Dee’s Custom Apparel, GA
- Groomsmen’s tuxedos: A Better Deal Tuxedo La Jolla
- Cinematography: Taylor Films
- Officiant: Pastor Rafer Owens
- Draping, dance floor, & rentals: Floral Works & Events by Raphael’s
- Photo booth: The Foto Box
- Chocolate fountain: Chocolate Haven
- Sparkling wine favor: Bernardo Winery
- Doves: Feathers from Heaven